Monday, December 5, 2011

The most important thing

I'm pretty well known for my ability to get traffic.  What's interesting is that all too often I get asked how to generate the most traffic possible.  The truth is that too much traffic is nearly as bad as not enough.  Now before you scratch your head and wonder what I'm talking about, I could easily push so much traffic to any web site that I overload the servers.  However, if the people that make up the traffic don't want to see the site, don't care to see it, then what good has all of that traffic done?

The most important thing about traffic isn't getting it, it's knowing who you want to target.

Now here's the thing about that.  It isn't just targeting people that are interested in what you have to say or sell ... it's targeting people that are likely to be GREAT customers.

It's that old 80/20 rule.  If 80% of your revenue is going to come from only 20% of your customers, why not target ONLY the kinds of people that are 20%ers for your business?

The largest benefit to your business comes not from just getting more customers, it comes from getting more of the BEST KIND of customer.

No comments:

Post a Comment